The National Curriculum
In Key Stage 1 (Years 1 and 2) and Key Stage 2 (Years 3 to 6), all children follow the National Curriculum
The National Curriculum consists of core and foundation subjects.
Rights Respecting Schools
Our curriculum is driven by The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and by the Sustainable Development Goals. We are proud to have achieved the Silver Rights Respecting Schools Award - an award granted by Unicef UK to schools that show good progress towards embedding children's rights in the school's policy, practice and ethos.
We are now on our journey to achieving the Gold Rights Respecting Schools Award. This is the highest stage of the award and has been achieved by less than 500 schools across the country. We work hard to embed the Rights of the Child in everything we do, making sure all children are knowledgeable of their rights and can discuss their importance.
English, Maths, Science
We teach children to read through consistent, systematic and rigorous application of a
synthetic phonics programme (Tower Hamlets Phonics) in EYFS/KS1.
For more information on the teaching of reading, please refer to our policy.
For information about how children progress in calculation in our school, see here.
History, Geography, Art and Design, Music, Physical Education, Design and Technology, Computing, Modern Foreign Language at KS2 (Spanish at Arnhem Wharf) and RE.
As well as: Personal, Social, Health & Economics Education
At Arnhem Wharf, we provide an inspiring curriculum that enables all children to progress and achieve. Our curriculum helps children prepare for secondary school and later life through developing the key skills, knowledge and understanding they will need. This includes a very strong emphasis on literacy and numeracy skills. We have developed cross-curricular links so that these skills are supported by exciting and stimulating topics.
Children must take part in all National Curriculum lessons, however parents are entitled to request their child is removed from lessons in religious education, collective worship and parts of relationship and sex education - unless these are statutory by law. If a parent or carer wishes to withdraw their child, they must put it in writing and then meet with the head teacher to discuss the decision.
All children have access to high quality arts and sports experiences. Alongside class teachers, we employ specialist teachers, who bring high levels of expertise.
We are an inclusive school so we work hard to ensure all our children are able to access the curriculum. We may vary resources, tasks, timetabling, grouping or staffing to ensure each child is supported and challenged appropriately.
End of Year Expectations in Reading, Writing & Maths
Our curriculum overview for each year group can be downloaded below:
TOPIC LETTER TO PARENTS
- Y1 Autumn 1 topic letter Me Myself and I (1.81 MB)
- Y1 Autumn 2 topic letter 3 2 1 Blast Off (2.01 MB)
- Y1 Spring 1 topic letter Toys Are Us (3.01 MB)
- Y1 Spring 2 topic letter Save The Jungle (2.95 MB)
- Y1 Summer 1 topic letter Everyones Equal (1.84 MB)
- Y1 Summer 2 topic letter Knights and Castles (2.61 MB)
- Y2 Autumn 1 topic letter London Our Local Environment (4.98 MB)
- Y2 Autumn 2 topic letter Amazing Journeys (1.50 MB)
- Y2 Spring topic letter Pirates and Explorers (3.39 MB)
- Y2 Summer topic letter Save Our Seas (3.18 MB)
- Y3 Autumn 1 topic letter From Bean to Bar (2.62 MB)
- Y3 Autumn 2 topic letter From Bean to Bar (2.61 MB)
- Y3 Spring topic letter Dinosaurs Hear Us Roar (1.02 MB)
- Y3 Summer 1 topic letter Temples Tombs (2.86 MB)
- Y3 Summer 2 topic letter Conservation Save Our Wildlife (1.33 MB)
- Y4 Autumn 1 topic letter London Is The Place To Be (1.76 MB)
- Y4 Autumn 2 topic letter Fantastic Plastic (3.73 MB)
- Y4 Spring 1 topic letter Utopias and Dystopias (2.60 MB)
- Y4 Spring 2 topic letter Natural Disasters (1.53 MB)
- Y4 Summer 1 topic letter Invaders or Settlers (2.00 MB)
- Y4 Summer 2 topic letter Lend Me Your Ears (1.71 MB)
- Y5 Autumn topic letter To Infinity and Beyond (2.52 MB)
- Y5 Spring topic letter Terrible Tudors (2.75 MB)
- Y5 Summer topic letter Go With The Flow (3.03 MB)
- Y6 Autumn topic letter Children Should Be Seen (2.20 MB)
- Y6 Spring topic letter Keep Calm and Carry On (2.95 MB)
- Y6 Summer topic letter Suffragettes (2.15 MB)